Take time to prepare your home for inspection
- You don't always know well in advance when you are going to sell, but if you do have some time up your sleeve, contact an agent you trust for their opinion on any works you could carry out to get your property looking at its best when you finally list, particularly in the front garden.
- External presentation - some established plants or a freshly painted fence - is sometimes critical in getting buyers through the door to see the lovely home inside!
Carefully choose an agent
- Ask friends and acquaintances for recommendations, but make the final choice based on your needs.
- Look for traits such as professionalism, enthusiasm, extensive knowledge, and a firm commitment to selling your property.
- Ask for references
- Ask the agent to explain how they will market your home
Gain an understanding of the market
- Ask your agent to talk you through recent sales in your area to support their recommendation on price - you should check this against your own market research
- At market value, you open your home up to more people who can afford the price, so don’t list your property at a higher price without good reason
Make an impact
- Once you have the asking price and selling agent organised you need to turn your focus toward presentation
- Make a good first impression of your home, both interior and exterior. Serious buyers are usually the first through the door so have it picture perfect from day one
- Let the agent turn any comments about the shortcomings of your home into a selling point